we’ll be playing and having fun

>> Tuesday, October 14, 2008



1. macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi
2. black beans
3. fruit salsa
4. coconut rice
5. papaya and grapes with a wedge of lime

I decided to make a nice islandy dinner for the kids to make up for going to Hawaii and not taking them and then not buying them anything while I was there. I'm nice that way.

The fish was prepared using Alton Brown's method - but I didn't use NEARLY the amounts suggested for the "crust" and still ended up with plenty. And I didn't use butter, because I didn't have any. How can it be that we have no butter? Un freakin believable. Did you hear me? WE HAVE NO BUTTER! Oh, sorry. Anyway.

The beans were a loose approximation of these beans only with canned beans instead of dried.

The coconut rice is just plain old rice but I subbed half of the water with coconut milk and sprinkled some toasted coconut flakes on top.

5 comments:

Para i familiaku October 14, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

I make coconut flavored rice too, but I do not put any water just pure freshly squeezed coconut milk, talk about increasing our cholesterol levels, well we do it once in a while anyway.

What was your favorite Hawaiian dish? Mine is always the kalua pork, hands down! DELISH!

Lunch Buckets October 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

I'm sure the more coconut milk you use, the better it is, but I only had 1 cup. Unfortunately mine was not fresh squeezed either. Oh, kalua pork, my favorite too :)

Ironjack October 15, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

Looks very yummy. Did you do the rice on the stove or did you use a rice cooker. I had trouble with my coconut rice recently. I had to run it thru the cooker twice before it was cooked through.

abigail @ Paper and Cake October 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

mmm... coconut rice and i'll eat macadamia nut crusted anything. did this make up for not taking the kids?

Anonymous March 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP