The Devil's Own Curry

>> Wednesday, January 21, 2009



1. HOT chicken curry
2. basmati rice
3. carrot raita
4. Mixed Pickle
5. cilantro
6. chocolate!


I've been kinda stuffy and sniffly the past few days and figured the only cure would be a big pot of flamin' hot curry. And so it came to pass that I stood in my kitchen in front of my stove with a flexible cutting board full of chopped onion, where I've stood hundreds of times before. I dumped the onions into the same pot that I've dumped onions into hundreds of times before. But this time, unlike the hundreds of times before, two twin streams of molten magma-ish oil came geysering out of the pot and splattered neatly on the underside of both my forearms. Great googly-moogly did that sting! Seriously! Hundreds of times! Without injury! There must have been some water on my board, that's the only thing I can come up with. If it happens again though I'm off curry for good! Luckily there's only a couple of small blisters and my hands were totally spared. Even luckier there weren't any offspring or small dogs standing around!

Anyway, chicken curry, made with breast meat because that's what I had. (It's SOOOOO much better with thigh meat though!) I used Pataks HOT Curry Paste and a can of tomato paste with Italian herbs. Because that's what I had. I don't know -why- I had it though, misread the label most likely!

I ate it with one of my favorite rices, Tilda basmati, which seems to be getting more and more expensive and more and more difficult to find. I think I might need to get a new favorite when this bag is gone! Along side is a Carrot Raita. This was a new one for us and I think it turned out pretty good but needs a little tweaking. And of course, mixed pickle and chocolate. Dark chocolate. With bits of ginger! Almost as good as a band-aid and a Momma's kiss :)

11 comments:

Marimoy January 22, 2009 at 4:14 AM  

still looks yum yum. Love the new look, by the way. Was going to redo my own blog, but now I must wait a bit for fear of looking like a copy cat! LOL!

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Ouch! That stings just reading it. But chocolate makes everything better. Yours looks yummy!

Yvo Sin January 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

I f*cking (sorry but it's appropriate here!) hate when that happens. I have a "new" fingerprint on my left index finger from doing the same thing hundreds of times and I don't know what happened but the knife slipped that one time... youch! But remember those scars are badges of honor, time spent cooking in the kitchen! My arms are speckled with them! Although yours sounds super painful (the tiny ones on my arms hurt for a few minutes at most). Hugs and hope you feel better!!!
PS We watch the same everything? I don't know where but I've definitely heard Great Googly Moogly before, in some movie I think...

Julie January 22, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

Sorry you got burnded. I like your new look. It's bootiful

LaFleur January 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

oh my - had to write about the burn. I was roasting butternut squash (easier than peeling it you know) and I was transferring it from the pan to the plate, and dang if that darn squash didn't jump right off my spatula and glue itself to the top of my instep. I got most of it off quickly, but one bit I really had to pull off with my fingers. It's been about 2 weeks and the quarter sized burn where that stick piece was turned into the nastiest blister that IS STILL THERE!
I will say - if you can get some NuSkin from the drug store and some gauze to cover it, it will almost ensure you have no scar. I burnt my hand very badly 7 years ago or so, and now you would never know it has been so badly burned. I figured nobody looks at my feet and I need to be able to walk so I didn't get any. I wish I had now.
Hope you heal well!

Selba January 22, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

Your bentos look yummy :)

I've been bringing lunch from home these days. My mom cooks for me early in the morning, hehehe... Usually it's brown rice with veggie.

MuseSwings January 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Well this looks like a delicious blog! Thank you so much for stopping by mine.
Cynthia

Anonymous January 24, 2009 at 2:42 AM  

Holy Mother of God! Where have you been all my life?

I am salivating as I add you to my reader IMMEDIATELY!

test it comm January 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

That is a tasty looking bento.

Anonymous January 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

Ouch, Ive had my share of that! But the end result looks great! Hope you're doin better now :) I would like to introduce you to Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit - and invite you to link your blog to foodista-related pages using our small embeddable widgets. Check it out here.. This is a good way for you to build traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!

Heather January 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

I love pickles and curry.

I love that you said "great googly-moogly". :D Getting burned is the price we pay for our craft.

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP