Tomato Farming and Sauce Craving

>> Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How was your Labor Day> As always we celebrated the holiday (any holiday) with food. There was ...





1. pulled pork
2. coleslaw
3. trailer park baked beans
4. and homegrown tomatoes

I made the 3 Day Slaw Julie talks about here and it was okay, but probably not my favorite. If I made it again I would use 1/2 the celery seed and maybe add some mustard seed. Also it was really, really juicy. I think you should either prepare the cabbage ahead of time and get some of the liquids out, or use less dressing, or both. And don't use red onion if you can help it. It made the color kind of off.

And those tomatoes? Grew 'em myself. Yep. Sure did. Here's another shot to give you some perspective.



Oh. By the way. That's the entire harvest. Anyway, moving on.

Good news! There is one thing that I can do better than growing tomatoes and that's making barbecue sauce. I was seriously craving a certain style of sauce. Memphis style sauce I guess it is. Vinegary and peppery and sweet. And guess what? I nailed it. Really! I did! It was exactly what I was looking for. I know sauce is a personal thing, but who knows? Maybe this one is just what you're craving. And if you make it with organic ketchup there's no evil HFCS! I know, right? I shall share.

Crave Sauce

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
5 drops of liquid smoke
1 cup ketchup

Mix everything except the ketchup in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the dry stuff dissolves (the onion powder takes the longest) then add the ketchup. As soon as it starts to bubble turn the heat all the way down and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir it pretty frequently and watch out for eruptions. You can eat it as soon as it cools down but it's better the next day.

3 comments:

Julie September 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

It was pretty watery. I liked it best right at first, when the dsg first goes on.

Peasblog September 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

oh I'll try this soon!

The Absence of Alternatives September 9, 2010 at 2:11 AM  

Can you ship your BBQ sauce? :-)

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP