Cubans & Clafoutis

>> Sunday, August 24, 2008



1. Cubanesque sandwich
2. chips and dip
3. pickles
4. cherry clafoutis

If you Google around you'll find folk's have some pretty strong opinions on what exactly constitutes a Cuban sandwich. As I have no stomach for controversy let's just refer to these delicious sandwiches as Cubanesque, shall we? There's a seeming dearth of Cuban bread out here in the desert by the way, but sweet Hawaiian bread subs in nicely.


Cubanesque Crock Pot Pork

Buy a pork butt that will fit in your crock pot. Salt & pepper it and shove it in the crock. Tuck in a rough chopped onion, a few garlic cloves and pour in a half cup of orange juice. Half 2 Mexican limes (or use 1/2 of a Persian lime) and add the juice. Poke 3 or 4 cloves into one of the lime halves and throw it in as well. Cook on high for about 4-6 hours until the meat is exceedingly tender. Done!


After this pork cooled enough to handle I sliced it thin and made sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls with a little mustard, sliced pickle and Swiss cheese. I very lightly buttered the outside of the bread. I used the two hot skillet method to grill and press the sandwiches until they were toasty and melty and plain overall luscious.

The clafoutis recipe was inspired by Kevin @ Closet Cooking closely following a recipe from Ceres @ Bacchus with only a few minor changes. I must say I'm a little sad that I lived the first 40 years of my life ignorant to the ways of the clafoutis. Never again will neglected fruit languish in my kitchen - clafoutis for all my friends!

11 comments:

Ironjack August 24, 2008 at 6:32 PM  

Yummy looks good! You're photos are great, I just want to reach in and grab the sandwich! Must rummage through fridge, hungry now :)

test it comm August 24, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

That looks like a really good bento!

Julie August 24, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

Got any leftovers for your friends? I've never had (or heard of) a clafoutis either. Although I have heard of Cuba.

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

Love your site! You are on my "favorites" list. I must, must, must know what type of bento box that is...I have been looking for something like that with deep compartments for a while, but I can't ever seem to find it in solid colors like the one you have.

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

I am having to post anonymous, because I can remember my blogger passwork, nor can I figure out how to reset it..lol

Anonymous August 25, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

Sigh, I wish I'd had this for lunch instead of the leftovers I had. And as an FYI, even my friend who is from Cuba can't decide on what exactly is a "Cuban Sandwich"!!!

Desi Mommy August 26, 2008 at 6:02 PM  

omg I love me some clafoutis. I got addicted to the stuff on a visit to France in high school. MMMM.... even better with a bourbon or rum sauce that you might put on a xmas pudding. Soooo good. I guess that's not very French, but that's how I like it!

Marimoy August 27, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

that is quite cubanesque! Yum.

Libby August 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

Forget the lunch! (It's lovely, btw.) I'm also putting in a request to find out the source of that box. Specialty bento store or container from Chinese take out? Inquiring minds want to know!

Half Baked August 28, 2008 at 5:01 AM  

great pork recipe! I'm going to give this one a try for sure. I too recently discovered the deliciousness that is clafoutis. so easy and sooo good!!

Kate January 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

I'm making this fo-sho. Am I annoying you yet, with all my comments on old posts as I troll? I've got a pork roast, a crock and love cuban flavored sandwiches, and I don't get hung up on the argument, either. This one goes on the Make This List.

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP