Is There a Season for Salmon?

>> Tuesday, June 7, 2011



1. grilled salmon
2. fennel and grapefruit salad
3. chunk of bread that wasn't nearly as big as it looks

Sometimes I think my enjoyment of a particular food item is inversely proportional to it's cost. But enough about expensive fish that's probably out of season or whatever - should probably just remind myself that I live in the middle of the freakin' desert. Anyway, check out those grill marks! That pan was worth every penny of the 20 bucks I paid for it. And the salad? That I could eat again and again. Crisp and cool and just different enough to feel a teeny bit exotic. You can make it too!

Fennel and Grapefruit Salad

Chop up a small red onion and a head of fennel in the smallest dice you have the patience for. Supreme out a grapefruit and hack that up too. Mix up your favorite vinaigrette*, dump it on top and stick in the fridge for an hour. Fancy fennel frond garnish is entirely optional.

I used a citrus vinegar from Trader Joe's in this and let me tell you it was lovely.

2 comments:

BlueFrogJ June 7, 2011 at 6:46 AM  

YAY, a post! And that looks like a lovely bento. I totally understand one's obsessive enjoyment of food inversely proportional to one's pocketbook. I think we have the same disorder.

Jenn of Not Exactly Bento

Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

When it comes to fish, I'm not a huge fan, but I know I need it in my diet, so if I cook with it, cost doesn't matter, it's just a bonus that I'm eating it at all! (that's cooked fish, sushimi I have no problem with :)

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP