Remember the Days

>> Thursday, June 16, 2011



1. spaghetti
2. bread
3. olives

Does anyone else remember when spaghetti sauce came powdered in a paper packet and had to be mixed with a big can of tomato juice to make it into sauce? Well I do. My mom had a pretty basic meal rotation and spaghetti was one of the standards. I clearly remember how it was done. I'll share!

First you had to fill the big pan with water and when it started to boil you had to take the dried spaghetti and break it up into 2 inch pieces into the water. When it was done you had to strain off the water. This wasn't as easy as it sounds because for some reason my mom pretty much refused to use a colander and when she finally did get one it was bright yellow Tupperware and creeped me out (also she called it a strainer). This meant you had to tilt the hot boiling water filled pan just so over the side of the sink and drain out the water without loosing the spaghetti. Tricky! Anyway, after that you ripped open a packet of "spaghetti sauce" and dumped the powder on top of the noodles, then punched open a big can of tomato juice and poured it on top. Then you stirred it all together with some ground beef you had browned separately while the noodles were cooking. I can't remember if she used onions or not ... no garlic though, definitely no garlic.

Now at our house I rely heavily on jarred sauce for quick meals. I also know I'm grateful to have a Fresh&Easy nearby because I really dig their pasta sauces and appreciate that they don't involve little packets of powdered stuff. And no, I'm not getting paid to say that. Unfortunately.

2 comments:

Kate August 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

Yes I remember those days, I remember when mom and dad went out, and a babysitter came, they'd stock up on a boxed treasure we were allowed to make with the babysitter: Boxed pizza mix by Appian Way. I was the same type sauce and a packet of floury dough mix and some powdered kraft cheese of some sort. Totally junky but we loved it so. In the 70s this was pizza eating!

Natakiya September 23, 2011 at 6:49 AM  

I love how you used the oval container for the bread, it looks like it fits perfectly!

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP