A Good Lunch Poorly Presented

>> Tuesday, July 29, 2008



1. chicken curry on rice
2. mixed pickle
3. herby raita

Sometimes I like to toast and grind and simmer and stir and repeat and wait and on and on and on, and sometimes I use a jarred cooking sauce. Blasphemy - I know! And invariably one child or the other will say "this is the best curry you've ever made" whenever I break out the Patak's. Now keep in mind I'm still very much a learner in the ways of the curry so the praise may be more of a reflection of my lack of skill than the goodness of the Patak's, but still. Cheap, good and easy. Kinda like me.

Anyway. Here's the secret.

Plan ahead a bit and cook an onion (or two) in a couple of tablespoons of ghee. You want to do this slow, slow, slow until you end up with a whole mess of soft sweet golden onion love. I usually do this while I'm cooking dinner since I'm there anyway. Let the onions cool to room temperature then dump them in your crockpot. Cut your meat or vegetables into bite sized pieces and put them on top of the onions. (I often use a family pack of chicken thighs, usually 6-8)Now dump in a jar of cooking sauce, slap the lid on and put the whole thing in the fridge. When Boy gets home from school he takes the crockpot out and starts cooking it on high. I come home, put on some rice and maybe make a quick side, brew some tea and get out the pickles. 30 minutes later - dinner is served. Leaving you plenty of time to relax and write haiku.

4 comments:

Yvo Sin July 30, 2008 at 7:58 AM  

I've never made Indian curry and have no plans to ever try. Seems like a lot of work :) I make Japanese curry from bricks of curry flavored goodness... lol. Gosh I sound like a lazy fart, don't I? Hmm, my freezer stock of Japanese curry is out, I should do something about that, hehe

The P & A Food Chronicles August 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM  

its so cute... i love your concept of putting everything on a lunch box... lovely!! to many of us eat to much fast food!! and spend insane amounts of money

Lunch Buckets August 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Yes - at the core of most of what I do you'll find either laziness or thrift :)

Yo Yvo! Did you -read- this? It's a jar of sauce dude. Seriously easy and seriously good. In fact I'm moving it into weekly rotation. Happy family = Happy me!

Yvo Sin October 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM  

Haha I did read it, and now I read it again (and caught your response comment) and now I tell you... the crockpot is what throws me. I don't have one, I suppose I can easily make it in a pot though. I DID just buy a jar of korma (my FAVE Indian curry btw) - Trader Joe's brand though. :) Must try something yummy with it! What's ghee?

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP