I Didn't Think It Would Still Be Good

>> Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's more than just the heat that's making me cranky these days. I swear if you didn't know better you'd think I'm constantly trying to poison these kids. I mean I know I'm cheap, and I do hate waste. But still. I've never given them bad food. When I doubt I really do throw it out! But still. Every single freakin' thing they take out of the fridge; "Mom? Is this still good?". God forbid anything should get close to its "sell by" date. I've drank more milk in the past 2 weeks than in the 24 before that - PROVING that the milk isn't bad. And I don't. like. milk.

"Honey do you really think that I would EVER give you something that wasn't good for you? Something that would make you sick? Seriously? It smells fine. If something LOOKS okay and you smell it and it smells okay and then you taste it and tastes okay then it's most likely good to eat."

"Uhm...no but Mom, it's just that the expiration date says April 1st and it's already March 25th and I'm not sure blahblahblahblahblahblahblah"

"GIVE ME THE DAMN MILK!"

gulp

"Do I look like I'm dying? No? Then drink it!"

And now today.

"How was lunch?"

"I didn't eat it. I'm sorry Mom."

"Why not?"

"Well I didn't think it would still be good."

One of these days they'll push me too far and I'll serve up a big stale tortilla burrito for dinner with out of date cheese AND sour cream and and maybe some rotten fruit for dessert. Just. Cause. I. Can.



1. burger
2. berries
3. container of sugar
4. baby banana
5. pig full o' beans

My lunch was the same. I had a hamburger. It was left-over from last night. I mixed in sliced green onion and blue cheese crumbles and then grilled them. It was absolutely delicious. And I didn't die.

10 comments:

Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 4:52 AM  

Oh man. That sounds so frustrating. You have my deepest sympathy. ;) Great bentos btw. And great look to your blog. I need to ressearch adding those ad banners like you have. I'm just not sure about it yet.

Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 6:15 AM  

I'm so glad you lived to tell this tale! ;)

- - MayMay - - April 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Wow, I would of loved having these lunches when I went to school!

Amy J. April 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

I love bento and your blog! I have some cute tupperware, but my goal is to get real bentos for me, DH, and DD.

Fran Z April 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM  

HaHa, Had to laugh! My kids were the same way. I always tell them "back when I was young, there were no expiration dates on anything!" (True story) Unfortunately, one of my kids still smells EVERYTHING she eats. ;>
geesh

Chou April 2, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

Hmm, can't even begin to count how many times I've sniffed something before eating. I'd never noticed it, and then one day a friend announced "you're a sniffer!" And I am. The nose knows.

Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

Oh that is hilarious! I must admit I make by boyfriend taste the milk before I drink it if it's close to expiration date.

Anonymous April 5, 2008 at 8:45 PM  

My sister does that too, and my brother. <.<

If a banana is brown then I might as well be beating them with a sack full of doorknobs.

Jeanine April 14, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

I like to know I am not alone. My husband shuns anything that is within a few days of the expiration. He makes an enormous and dramatic display of sniffing the suspect item and then shoves it under my nose so I too can partake in whatever phantom smell he is grimacing at. I refuse, unless of course, it is wine.

Lunch Buckets April 19, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

jenn - email me about the banner, I'll give you the scoop

motherme - luckily it was a short hospitalization

lai-may - thank you :)

amy j. - watch out, it's addictive

franz, is chou your kid?

keesha - you understand this means I won't be making lunch for you now?

thisothergirl - bag full of doorknobs? thanks for the tip!!!

jeanine, jeanine, jeanine - you are NEVER alone, for I am stalking you, always. Interestingly enough noone's ever asked me to "taste this wine, or liquor, or beer. Oh, that's probably because I don't let the kids drink. Nevermind. Back to stalking now....

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP