Aunt Jemima You're No Friend Of Mine

>> Monday, June 30, 2008



1. pancakes!
2. maple syrup
3. raspberries
4. mango
5. pistachios

My daddy taught me that white Karo syrup makes a fine topping for pancakes, or white bread, but that's another story, and it's a good thing too. Otherwise I probably would have spent my formative years pancake-less. See we didn't have maple syrup. We had honey, and sorghum molasses, and of course the Karo. And then there was the "pancake syrup" that tasted like poo. I remember thinking that if I could just convince Mom to spring for the Aunt Jemima all would be right in my pancake eatin' world. Well, eventually she did, and it wasn't. It was still nasty, only I begged for it so I had to at least pretend to like it. Years later I was offered a ladle of "hot maple syrup" on a waffle at a hotel buffet. Ohmylordamercy. Enlightenment.

Speaking of Nirvana, I finally managed to mail Mimi's Haiku that Blog! prize off to her today (hope you enjoy it Mimi!). To St. Thomas. That's Virgin Island St. Thomas for those of you that are geographically impaired. I won't be jealous, I won't! Anyway, sharpen up your pencils, it's almost time to haiku Mimi's blog, and please, don't be a hater. I'm sure she'd rather be here in Phoenix. Where it's nice and warm. Yeah.

7 comments:

Yvo Sin July 1, 2008 at 8:38 AM  

LOL can I tell you. Last week I made French toast for the BF. I don't make pancakes/waffles and French toast is an occasional treat for him, so I didn't realize I had no pancake syrup (the kind you keep in your cabinets and never goes bad; Jemima or the other brand, I forget, who cares). Anyway, he'd already gone to the store for OJ so I felt bad making him go again, so I was walking down the stairs grumbling to myself about having to buy something I never personally use when it dawned on me that I have a huge jug of maple syrup (for making maple syrup sausages of course) in the fridge. I ran up and grabbed it, gave it to him and after he'd eaten, I said, "How was the syrup?" and he said it was OK. OK! JUST OK! I paid so much for that jug... next time I'm just going to give him the crappy stuff.

PS This is probably a stupid question, but how do you heat maple syrup at home? I mean you only want a little bit heated and it seems a waste to heat a tiny pot that you then have to clean of all that stickiness?

BC July 2, 2008 at 4:27 AM  

Haha that's funny. I don't think I've ever had Aunt Jemima. Only the real thing for me!

Heat a bit in the microwave in a small dish. Unless you are reducing it to bump up the flavour, then it should be done on the stove top.

Marimoy July 4, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

HEY! I like Phoenix! Maybe we should house swap sometime... :oD

Joy July 5, 2008 at 1:34 PM  

Pancakes in a lunchbox - yum! Good work on the braid below too.

Jacque July 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM  

That is just too cute for words! Nice work.

Maggie July 10, 2008 at 5:31 AM  

I love real maple syrup and can't stand the "pancake" stuff. Sorgum is great too. Cute bento!

Coffee and Vanilla July 27, 2008 at 7:37 AM  

Those pancakes sounds really good... I love maple syrup :)
Margot

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP