Super Complicated Envy Evoking Idea Stealing Bento

>> Wednesday, January 30, 2008



1. Ikea meatballs with gravy and a potato
2. Ikea lingonberry preserves
3. crepes filled with lemon curd
4. blueberries

Look at the tiny crepes! Aren't they nice? How very, very clever of me to totally steal that idea from Jeanine at The Healthy Lunchbox.

Try to tear your eyes away from the wonder that is the Ikea meatball and go take a look at what Jeanine does. She makes lunch for her kids out of mostly organic, mostly local and largely vegetarian food and manages to pack it in a way that doesn't generate any additional waste. And I think she might be posing nekkid in her profile picture. If I knew her in real life I'd probably call her stuck up and act like I didn't like her - or follow her around like a puppy.

Speaking of issues, I took a lot of crap for this lunch at work. Much of the time I eat at my desk, but this day I ate with the group. You would think I'd sculpted a scale model of the Eiffel Tower from a Vienna sausage instead of bringing in leftovers. Seriously people - Ikea meatballs. They come frozen in a bag. Gravy powder sold seperately. While it's true I don't make crepes every day they are really just pancakes with runnier batter. You just have to wonder what exactly people are eating that is "easier" or "quicker" than that! Probably they're just jealous that they don't have mad lunch packing skills like me and my new bff Jeanine. (oh my God do you think she'll read this??? hope she doesn't think I'm some psycho stalker woman!) Or maybe it was the mint ...

Dessert Crepes

1 egg
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of flour
1/8 cup of sugar
2 T melted butter
tiny pinch of salt

Blenderize until smooth and stick it in the fridge for 1/2 hour (or longer). Spoon a little bit of batter in the center of a heated non-stick pan and swirl it around dramatically while talking loudly to noone in particular in a fake French accent. Cook on medium high heat for about 30 seconds or so or until the edges start to pull up from the pan. Flip and cook another 15 seconds or so until you like the color. Lay the finished crepe flat on a plate and repeat. Makes something like 2376 tiny crepes. Small ones are easier to turn than big ones - plus you get more!

6 comments:

Yvo Sin January 31, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

LOL I love the "speaking of issues" right after you talk about how you love this woman who's posing naked in her profile pic... hahahahaha. So what did you talk about to no one in particular in a fake French accent? "Ah, zee swirl, swirl, I 'ave zis one"? Hehehehe.
And yeah, I used to get the initial shock and awe and omg how long did that take and it was always like, dude, it's leftovers, or dude, it's a freaking sandwich that I ran a cookie cutter through first. Honestly, people! Hahahaha. :)

test it comm January 31, 2008 at 6:04 PM  

Crepes filled with lemon curd sound like a great addition to a lunch.

Anonymous February 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM  

I read the title and I thought, really? Envy evoking? That's a bold statement.

Then I saw them. The crepes. And I slowly nodded and thought...Yep...Envy evoking is right.

None February 1, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

haha thanks! nice work on those crepes, btw!

Cakelaw February 2, 2008 at 1:33 AM  

LOL - the crepes are great, regardless of the fact that someone else made 'em first.

Jeanine February 14, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

A little late, but I'm on to you stalker chick. For the record, I am not naked in the photo (people who know me may want to poke their mind's eye out with that potential imagery floating around their heads). It's just that when a gal has to purchase her bra's in the pre-teen department, the massive expanse of bare chest available to display can be a bit alarming.

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP