The Perfect Mac & Cheese?

>> Sunday, November 18, 2007


Another stop on the quest for the perfect Mac & Cheese.

I'm really not a huge macaroni and cheese fan. But he is. So here's the latest rendition:

Perfect Mac & Cheese v.12

1/2 c milk
4 ounces of Velveeta
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
black pepper
8 ounces elbow macaroni (boiled and drained)
2 T salted butter (melted)
1 cup bread crumbs

Melt the Velveeta in the milk over medium low heat in a 2 quart saucepan, stirring constantly with a whisk until smooth. Add the shredded cheeses about 1/4 of a cup at a time, stirring until smooth between additions. Add the garlic salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Dump the macaroni into the sauce pan and stir to coat. Empty into an 11x7 inch buttered casserole. Mix the melted butter with the bread crumbs using a fork then sprinkle over the macaroni. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.

It was pretty good. Some people didn't like the ratio of crumb topping to macaroni, while others of us loved it. All agreed that it was a bit dry. I think we'll try this one again with about 1/4 cup more liquid and 1/2 the breadcrumbs. I'd also brown it a bit more if starving heathens can spare the time.

3 comments:

Sub Lumen November 19, 2007 at 9:12 AM  

I have just discovered your blog this morning (via BlogCatalog) and I am truly enjoying it! I love good food and I love beautiful food photography. Since I'm on a diet these days, I get to indulge more in the photography.

Keep up the great work!

Lunch Buckets November 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM  

Thanks sub lumen, how flattering! I am really trying to get nicer pictures but it's much harder than it would seem.

Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 1:32 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LunchBucketShares

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP